Shalini Yadav is an Indian politician from Varanasi. She became a household name during the 2019 Lok Sabha Elections when she contested against the Prime Minister Narendra Modi from the Varanasi Constituency.
Shalini Yadav was born in 1972 in Varanasi (age 47 Years; as in 2019). After her schooling, she went to the Banaras Hindu University (BHU) to pursue her graduation in English Literature. Thereafter, she did a course in Fashion Designing from Delhi.
Height (approx.): 5′ 5″
Weight (approx.): 60 kg
Hair Colour: Black
Eye Colour: Black
Family, Caste & Husband
Shalini Yadav was born into an affluent family having a strong political background in Varanasi. She belongs to the Other Backward Class (OBC). There is not much information available about her parents and siblings; except her father’s name- Ram Murti Singh Yadav. Shalini got married to Arun Yadav on 2 March 1995.
The couple has a daughter. Her father-in-law, late Shyamlal Yadav, was a veteran Congress leader.
While working in the field of fashion designing, Shalini was called by the Congress high command to join the party. She had a smooth entry in Congress; as her husband, Arun Yadav had strong connections in Congress. Soon after her entry in Congress, Shalini was made the mayoral candidate in Varanasi in 2017. Although she lost the election, she had secured around 1.4 lakh votes.
However, during the 2019 Lok Sabha Elections, Shalini developed differences with Congress and left the party to join the Samajwadi Party in April 2019. Samajwadi Party made her their Lok Sabha candidate against the Prime Minister Narendra Modi from Varanasi.
Earlier, the rebel BSF Jawan, Tej Bahadur Yadav had been preferred over Shalini Yadav to contest against Narendra Modi from Varanasi, however, Tej Bahadur’s candidature was cancelled for giving false information in his affidavit, and finally, Shalini Yadav got the ticket from Varanasi.
D-63/8A-24, Anand Nagar, Mahmoorganj, Varanasi
- Politician(s): Indira Gandhi, Sonia Gandhi, Akhilesh Yadav
- Leader(s): Mahatma Gandhi, Lal Bahadur Shastri
- Singer: Neha Kakkar
- Classical Singer: Girija Devi
As per her affidavit in 2019, Shalini owns two 4-wheelers.
- Jewellery: worth Rs. 8.5 lakh
- Agricultural Land: worth Rs. 58 lakh
- Residential Building: worth Rs. 30 lakh
As per her affidavit in 2019, Shalini has a net worth of Rs. 1.26 crore.
- Shalini loves travelling, reading, and listening to music.
- Shalini Yadav’s father-in-law, late Shyamlal Yadav, was a prominent Congress leader who was very close to the Nehru-Gandhi Family.
- Former President of India, Pranab Mukherjee has family relations with Shalini Yadav and her husband; as her father-in-law, late Shyamlal Yadav and Pranab Mukherjee were close friends.
- When she left Congress in April 2019, she said-
I had problems with the working and the broken promises of the Congress. The party (Congress) always said that it would only bring good people and not parachute candidates, but it was not happening. They (Congress leaders) say ‘chowkidar chor hai’ but they themselves are giving ticket to bahubalis (musclemen)… I am happy that Akhileshji showed faith in me and sent me to Varanasi to fight against the prime minister.”
- In 2018, she was bestowed with the Rajiv Gandhi Global Excellence Award.
- She has a tattoo of a cluster of stars on her right wrist.