Atishi Marlena is an Indian politician associated with the Aam Admi Party. She has been a crucial part of AAP since its formation and is the party’s Lok Sabha candidate for the 2019 General Elections from the East-Delhi constituency.
Atishi was born on 8 June 1981 (age 39 years; as in 2018). Her zodiac sign in Gemini. She did her schooling from the Springdales School, New Delhi. In 2001, she then completed her graduation in History from the St. Stephen’s College, New Delhi and her Masters in History from the Oxford University, England in 2003. She was a topper from the St. Stephen’s College and was also awarded a Rhodes Scholarship when she passed out from Oxford. She joined the Magdalen College of Oxford as a Rhodes Scholar in 2005.
After she completed her studies, she moved to Bhopal, Madhya Pradesh to teach English and History. As she always had an interest in doing social work, she worked with many NGO’s in Bhopal. She took a keen interest in bringing progressive education system to villages and helping the kids get a better education. Atishi was fascinated at the time with organic farming; she worked and promoted organic farming quite extensively. In Bhopal, she came across many leaders of the Aam Admi Party.
In 2011, when Anna Hazare’s campaign was in full swing, Atishi observed the whole movement as an outsider. In an interview she revealed that when she met other leaders of AAP, she discussed Hazare’s Indian Anti-Corruption movement, she stated that a single issue movement could never have been successful.
Family, Caste & Husband
Atishi Marlena was born in a Punjabi Rajput family. Her parents, Vijay Singh and Tripta Wahi were Delhi University professors. Not much is known about her family. Her real name is Atishi Singh. Her middle name is Marlena; which she later adopted as her last name, stating that she did not want to be judged by her last name or caste but by the work she does. She is married to Pravin Singh.
Atishi joined the Aam Admi Party (AAP) in 2013. She was a crucial part in the formation of AAP as she was in the policy-making body of AAP. She was appointed as a member of the AAP’s Executive Body, The Political Affairs Committee. In the same year, she was also made the spokesperson of the AAP.
In July 2015, Atishi was appointed as the Advisor to the Deputy CM of Delhi, Manish Sisodia, in the field of education. She proved herself to be quite effective and was praised for her ideas and policies on reforming the education system. She often used to visit schools and interact with parents and teachers about how things can be improved. She was appreciated all around Delhi for this.
In 2019, Atishi was appointed as the Lok Sabha in-charge from the East-Delhi Constituency, for the 2019 General Elections. She was also named as AAP’s candidate for the 2019 General Elections from the East-Delhi Constituency against former Indian cricketer, Gautam Gambhir.
- In April 2018, the Lieutenant Governor of Delhi, Anil Baijal, removed Atishi along with 7 other people form their posts as Advisors. He claimed that the Delhi Government did not seek permission before appointing these people and creating new posts without informing the Centre. AAP accused him Anil Baijal of deliberately sacking Atishi as the Centre was trying to suppress women and the work they are doing.
- In May 2019, Atishi accused Gautam Gambhir of distributing pamphlets about Atishi stating insulting remarks on her character and image. The pamphlet had also included names of Arvind Kejriwal and Manish Sisodia. She held a press conference along with Manish Sisodia and read out the letter and stated that Gautam Gambhir had these pamphlets inserted in newspapers and had them delivered to residential buildings and distributed at marketplaces. Gautam Gambhir denied all these claims and challenged Arvind Kejriwal and Atishi stating that he would withdraw his candidature and quit politics if the charges against him are proved.
— Chowkidar Gautam Gambhir (@GautamGambhir) May 9, 2019
- While campaigning, Atishi is often seen with actress Swara Bhaskar.
- Her name, Marlena, is her middle name given to her by her parents, is a mix of two names, Marx and Lenin.
- She dropped Marlena as her surname in 2018, as she claimed that BJP workers and leaders were misinforming people that Atishi was Christian. She even filed her nomination for the 2019 General Elections just as Atishi; without any surname.